Small Fire Contained at Lee University

Cleveland, Tennessee—A fire which erupted in a recreation center at Lee University late Monday was quickly extinguished and with no injuries.

Lee University, which begins classes for the fall 2023 semester this week, said in an official statement that the fire started, “in the cardio room on the 2nd floor of the DeVos Recreation Center, and the Cleveland Fire Department responded immediately. The building was evacuated, and CFD was able to quickly extinguish the fire and then clear the building of smoke and carbon monoxide.” The release went on to say that, “Thankfully, no one suffered injury in the incident.”

While the fire was contained to an upstairs room, smoke was pervasive throughout the DeVos Center, which opened in 1993. The center has closed indefinitely while damage is assessed. In the meantime, alternative venues for recreational and fitness activity for the students and employees are being sought while the building will be out of service.

Print This Post Print This Post